Friday, June 28, 2013

VR.5


"VR.5" is a show of which I have fond memories. It was some time in the 90's ... 1995 I think. My memory (such as it is) is that the show debuted the same night as "Sliders" on Fox and I remember being upset when "Sliders" was picked up for a second season while "VR.5" was cancelled. I thought that "Sliders" was silly and that "VR.5" was cool.

A friend recently shared the news with me from tvshowsondvd.com that there is a glimmer of hope for a "VR.5" release on DVD. This apparently because of a listing on Amazon. The listing says, "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available." Which to me is code for, "Abandon all hope Ye who enter here." Except that as tvshowsondvd.com points out, this entry has one significant difference.

The DVD listing is for a DVD-R ... that's a DVD recordable service offered by Amazon. Amazon explains: "Through manufacturing on demand, CreateSpace, part of the Amazon.com group of companies, enables Amazon.com to offer music and video content that might not otherwise be available."

That would seem to me to indicate that Amazon has some interest in securing the rights to release the series. If that's the case, perhaps they are simply waiting for enough people to show an interest to make it worth their while? If you have an interest in seeing these old episodes of "VR.5" get over to Amazon and click on the "Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available" link.

I just hope the series is as good as I remember. I tried watching the "Robin of Sherwood" series pilot from 1984 awhile back and it was so ... 80's ... I just couldn't make it through. I have had a similar problem with some other old series that I remember from my past.

Also high on my, "I wish they would bring this to DVD/BluRay" list is a series created by Issac Asimov that starred Parker Stevenson and Ashley Crow called, "Probe." What about you? Any classic TV from your past that you'd like to see again?

Regards,


Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment