Friday, January 08, 2010

Following the Guide ...



I am still planning to match content and design of my current RPG project to those strictures suggested by Rob Lang's free guide to organizing your RPG.

The guide still strikes me as a useful and constructive approach to RPG presentation. However, something I have learned in working on my new edition of A+ over these past few months is that there is a time to follow the guide and that time isn't yet.

I am still trying to get information on the page and the organization and presentation of that information is an editorial task, not a creation task.

I was reading a guide to writing somewhere and one recommendation that struck a cord with me was the advice "Do not edit ... just write." (I paraphrase. I can't find the original article, but the idea is there.) Editing and writing (creating) are two different tasks. It is important not to interrupt one to start the other.

Rob's advice will serve me well once the work of creating my game has been completed. Until that time I plan to focus on the tasks of creation alone.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're going to use the guide, make me feel all warm inside. I agree that you should write, write, write and do edits later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Rob! (Now if I can just get this darn thing done!)

    ReplyDelete